Saturday, July 14, 2007

collected seaweed

aqua scene
This week I collected some seaweed floating in the waters off Cape Cod. I brought it home to my marine tank. In the past I have added collected seaweed and the fish enjoy eating it. I was amazed at the number of different types of macro algae that one small clump of flotsam included. I imagine it will not survive my tank temperature of about 78-80F, as the Cape water is much cooler, about 65F.

(Yes, that is me with the camera in the reflection!)

4 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger Jeffry R. Johnston said...

I never thought about introducing seaweed into my aquarium before. What a neat idea. Dig your blog; keep up the good work. We're adding you to our company blog roll. Thanks for linking to our store, too!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger kathy said...

Thanks for adding me to your blog roll. And thanks for stopping by my site.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Jeffry R. Johnston said...

I realize this is an old post, but whatever happened with the seaweed? Did any of it survive in one way or another? Oh, we updated our blog to blog.marinedepot.com ... although the teammarinedepot.blogspot.com will continue to work

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger kathy said...

As of December 16, one nice piece of seaweed is still in the tank. Its a large ribbon-like bright green piece (about 8 inches x 1 inch) that floats along the bottom of the tank and lodges in different locations. Occasionally the fish and snails nibble on it. Since it still looks so nice, I assume its alive, if not growing.

The rest of the seaweed was eaten or died within about 2 months. I'm looking forward to adding more next summer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home